Yonkers is a city in close proximity to the Big Apple, thus it’s overshadowed by New York and underestimated by visitors. However there is an impressive amount of leisure options for the traveler that decides to pay a visit to the city. Yonkers boasts interesting museums, plazas and gardens and offers a good number of options for dining, shopping and entertainment. So let’s see an overview of the most popular places to visit in the city (listed in no particular order).
1. Tibbetts Brook Park: The Park is an oasis of green in the city and it’s very well organized as well. You can indulge in a variety of sports and outdoor activities here; you can play basketball at the courts or watch a baseball game. You can also go hiking at the nearby trails or fishing, so consider your outdoor need satisfied.
2. Hudson Amphitheater You can absorb a great deal of culture here, as well as take in the nice view of the nearby river. The amphitheater boasts a good variety of plays and shows from movies to Shakespeare plays, there is always something for everyone.
3. The Glenview mansion (1877) and the Philipse Manor Hall (1682): You can appreciate Yonkers of old by visiting the two historic houses- turned museums. You can see the perfectly preserved d�cor and items and admire the traditional architecture alone or with a tour guide. You are certain to feel like you went through a time-machine and ended up there.
4. The Hudson River Museum: If you didn’t get your history fix from the mansions the Museum will definitely sate you. You can admire the art galleries and learn a lot about local history at the site. Located nearby is a planetarium and the above mentioned Glenview Manor and all are highly recommended to visit.
5. Untermyer Park and Gardens: The Gardens are must if you are a romantic, a nature lover or you simply want to take memorable photos at an idyllic location. The local flora is showcased in themed areas and decorations include an amphitheater, a statuary and a pavilion, among others.
6. Empire City Casino: The casino is a must for those of you with a flair for gambling. It features a great selection of electronic and conventional casino games, a restaurant, live shows and live horse racing events at the local raceway.
7. iFly Center: A must for extreme sports lovers. The center’s main attraction is that it offers a simulated skydiving experience. If you ever wanted to fly and were afraid, now is your chance to experience skydiving in a safe and fun way.
8. Ridge Hill and Cross County Shopping Center: Both locations are Shopping Centers and offer a variety of shopping options; from local shops to department stores with a variety of brands and accommodating to all budgets. During the summer months these locations host events are that range from movie nights to live concerts.
From shopping to adventure and from romantic walks to cultural escapades, Yonkers has it all, so next time you are thinking of traveling why don’t you visit Yonkers? I am sure the city will be make for a memorable vacation.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Anastasios_Vasileiou/2406747